This is the view from Undercliffe Cemetery looking West over the city. The cemetery was opened in 1854 and contains many extravagant Victorian tombs, obelisks and other monuments. The cemetery was nearly lost when in the 1970's the original Cemetery Company went bankrupt and the entire 25 acre site was sold to a property developer for £5.00. After a public campaign to save the cemetery Bradford Council compulsorily purchased the now derelict and much vandalised site. A team of volunteers have since spent many years restoring and maintaining the cemetery.